Export or backup email, contacts, and calendar to an Outlook .pst file
- At the top of your Outlook ribbon, choose File.
If your ribbon doesn't have a File option in the top left corner, see What version of Outlook do I have? to determine your version of Outlook and to get to the right export instructions.
- Choose Open & Export> Import/Export.
- Choose Export to a file.
- Click Outlook Data File (.pst), and then click Next.
- Select the name of the email account to export, as shown in the picture below. Only information for one account can be exported information at a time.
Make sure that the Include subfolders check box is selected. This way everything in the account will be exported: Calendar, Contacts, and Inbox. Choose Next.
- Click Browseto select where to save the Outlook Data File (.pst). Type a file name, and then click OK to continue.
Note: If you’ve used export before, the previous folder location and file name appear. Type a different file name before clicking OK.
- If you are exporting to an existing Outlook Data File (.pst), under Options, specify what to do when exporting items that already exist in the file.
- Click Finish.
- Outlook begins the export immediately unless a new Outlook Data File (.pst) is created or a password-protected file is used.
- If you’re creating an Outlook Data File (.pst), an optional password can help protect the file. When the Create Outlook Data Filedialog box appears, type the password in the Password and Verify Password boxes, and then click OK. In the Outlook Data File Password dialog box, type the password, and then click OK.
- If you’re exporting to an existing Outlook Data File (.pst) that is password protected, in the Outlook Data File Passworddialog box, type the password, and then click OK.
Now that your Outlook data is in a .pst file, it's portable. For example, you can save the .pst file to OneDrive, and then download it to your new computer. Or you can save it to a usb flash drive, plug the drive into your new computer, and then import your email, contacts, and calendar to Outlook.